Widely recognized among his peers in the Arizona legal community, Steve was named “Lawyer of the Year” (Scottsdale) in Corporate Law for 2019 by The Best Lawyers in America®. He is listed in Best Lawyers® under the Health Care, Corporate, and Real Estate Law areas. He is also a Super Lawyers selectee.
Steve joined Sacks Tierney after earning his law degree, cum laude, at Harvard University in 1986. He became a shareholder in 1993 and has helped lead the firm as an executive committee member for the past nine years.
Steve’s business clients benefit from his broad knowledge and experience in:
- Real estate transactions, including sales, acquisitions, construction, financing (debt and equity), and leasing of office, retail and industrial properties
- Health care law, with special emphasis on the business and transactional needs of physician practices and other providers, including chiropractors, physical therapists, dentists, nurses, optometrists, surgery centers, sleep labs, urgent care centers, imaging centers, tissue banks, and medical billing companies. His health care business practice includes:
- Setting up provider entities, providing advice on choice of entity and structure; preparing organizational documents
- Corporate transactions, representing entities in mergers or acquisitions.
- Employment issues, negotiating and preparing employment agreements; advising on compensation arrangements; dealing with non-compete issues
- Contract issues, assisting with contract negotiation, preparation, and interpretation of agreements with hospitals, payors, ACOs or other third parties
- Joint ventures, with hospitals, other physician practices, and MSOs
- Disputes, advising providers over departures from their companies, provider terminations, non-compete litigation, and buy-out and valuation disputes
- Regulatory issues, advising on Stark, Anti-Kickback, HIPAA, licensing, and other matters affecting providers
- General corporate and business advice, including negotiation and interpretation of shareholder and buy-sell agreements, operating agreements, and other governing documents.
- Representing buyers and sellers in business sales, acquisitions, mergers, and other transactions in industries that include:
- medical billing
- family-owned industrial dye manufacturing
- art distributing
- dune buggy import and sales
- answering service
- packaging manufacture and sales
- trade exhibit production and sales
- non-medical transport
- Contract negotiation and preparation related to the many types of transactions encountered by small to mid-sized businesses, including distribution, software licensing, management, and employment agreements
Steve’s stature in the legal profession is consistent with a personal tradition of community leadership, service, and influence within a rich variety of business, professional, civic, and faith-based organizations.